I did manage a little knitting whilst in Wales.
I've knit a set of these wristwarmers before, as a Christmas present for my Sister in Law. I'd seen some Cashmere wristwarmers in a Hush catalogue. They were beautiful, but I knew that I could knit something similar myself. I knit that set using Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK in a Dark Grey (shade 18034). At the time, I wasn't blogging so wasn't on the ball when it came to taking any photographs, which means that I've got a project listed on my Ravelry account without any FO photos - Doh! My Sister in Law did seem to like them - I hope she liked them anyway as when I'd finished knitting them I just wanted to keep them for myself.
Our little holiday away would give me the perfect opportunity to knit myself a pair, but it was a last minute decision and I hadn't got the 'right' yarn in my stash, and there wasn't time to pop into town to pick anything up either. Oh well, I thought, there are bound to be plenty of yarn shops in Wales where I can pick something up. I quickly threw a couple of sets of DPNs in my bag and off we went.
The first yarn shop I visited was very disappointing. As soon as I walked in, I knew I'd made a big mistake. There were no signs of any decent wool anywhere. I left feeling very deflated. It wasn't until we were coming towards the end of our holiday, that we visited Aberystwyth, and I spied Clare Wools. What a great little find. The assistant was very friendly and the shop was stocked with beautiful yarn. I couldn't take my eyes off of the Manos Del Uruguay, which came in such wonderous colours. It is rather expensive, and on this occasion, wasn't quite right for the project I had in mind. In the end I opted for a new Rowan yarn called Baby Merino Silk DK in Zinc.
Sorry that you can only see one of them being modelled, but it's very difficult to photograph both your hands at the sametime. Though I can assure you that I did make a pair - honest.
If you're interested in the details:-
I cast on 50 stitches, using the Cable Method, on size 3.25 DPNs.
Rib (K1, P1) for 15 rows in the round.
Rib for 15 rows, knit flat (to create the opening for thumb).
Rib for 15 rows in the round.
Change to 3.75 DPNs.
knit in the round for 60 rows.
Cast off.
Rib (K1, P1) for 15 rows in the round.
Rib for 15 rows, knit flat (to create the opening for thumb).
Rib for 15 rows in the round.
Change to 3.75 DPNs.
knit in the round for 60 rows.
Cast off.
Violet now wants a pair in Yellow. I just need to work out how many stitches to cast on for someone with such tiny hands.
*
Your armwarmers look great and thanks for sharing the pattern, very doeable (is this a word!)it is too!!
ReplyDeleteI had to laugh when I read about baking with children, my daughter is 24 and the kitchen is a sticky mess when she finishes baking too!!! Those cakes looked good. :)So glad you had a lovely holiday in Wales, the place you stayed looked lovely!
V xxxxx
Thanks for your comments, Vivienne. Hope you had a lovely break in Edinburgh and the weather was kind.
DeleteThere's hardly anything to making those wristwarmers. They're very, very simple. The worst part for me is that I have to use DPNs, which aren't my favourite! x
They look wonderfully warm, just right for the oncoming autumn. I'm always on the look out for yarn shops whenever I go anywhere. I left a comment last night but it's obviously got lost somewhere, I was just saying that your holiday looks brill. Violet looks to have had a fantastic time, and she's growing up so fast, she seems to change in every photo. The baking looks good. Teach them young, that's what I say, they they can keep you in yummy baked goods when they're older. I love Violet's Elmer apron, I could do with one of those myself.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comments, Jo. We all enjoyed our little holiday in Wales, and will definitely go back to explore it some more. I think it's great baking with children - they can learn so much from reading recipies, measuring ingredients, how things are made etc. I'm in love with the Elmer apron too- we love Elmer in this house. I'll keep my eyes open for one in adult size for you. x
Delete