Pages

Thursday, 2 December 2010

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree.......................

Can you guess what my next Christmas tradition is?????

Decorating the Tree of course.

I've loved decorating the family Christmas Tree since I was knee high to a grasshopper (OK, so I'm not much taller than that now).

When I was young I was constantly on at my mum to haul the Xmas tree and decorations out of the loft, so that I could spend a few pleasant hours doing my Homes & Gardens impression trying to create the most beautifully decorated tree ever.

 And, after I'd decorated our tree, I was straight on the phone to my aunt, who lived just down the street, telling her that our tree was up and that I'd be straight round to start on hers.  I ran to her house (walking was not an option).  Flung open the doors and true to form my aunt would have all her boxes, stuffed with Christmas decorations waiting there for me - oh the joy!

I'm pleased to see that Violet has as much love for Christmas trees as I do. 



As you can see, we don't have a real tree.  In fact, this is the same
tree I've always decorated.  Yes, this very tree could be well over 30 years old.  It does the job brilliantly, so I don't see any need to replace it.  I suppose in a way, it's become a family treasure.  It's seen a whole lot of fantastic family Christmases afterall.


Since having Violet, I haven't been able to hang my beautiful glass baubles on the tree, but I have plenty of shatterproof and soft decorations that Violet can handle without me worrying that she's going to injure herself.

I'll bore you all with my Christmas bauble love another day, but for now, the tree is up - Ta Da!


Is yours up yet?

* * * * * * * * *

9 comments:

  1. Lovely!!! :)
    Ours is not up yet, tomorrow hopefully!
    I need to finish cleaning the house first, that's if I stay off the laptop long enough! ;)
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope - always do it on Christmas Eve! It is very eco friendly to keep the same tree anyway - I have an old one but not quite as old as me as fake ones weren't about in the dark ages!!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Christmas trees with history! Yours looks lovely. Our tree went up on Sunday, it was the only day that we were all together (or so we thought before it snowed!) before No 4's birthday. My family tradition was that the tree always went up before my birthday (8th) but No 4's birthday is on the 3rd so it's put up even earlier!
    It's lovelt to stick with traditions and pass them on to the next generations.
    Jille x

    ReplyDelete
  4. My tradition is to play my Bing Crosby CD (usd to be an LP!) with a glass of sherry and a mince pie. We all have to sing while we decorate it. xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so cute! Not sure we're going to bother having one this year, since we're both going back 'home' to our respective families. A bit sad, I might change my mind! (about the tree that is!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greatctree, a bit early for me though. Usually about 10 days before, not really sure why. Also go with the sherry ( the only time I really drink it). And of course the Christmassy music. We had some pretty and old baubles but they got destroyed in a house fire a while ago. Usually we buy a new one each year that my two choose, then we try to remember when we got them

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ours isn't up yet, I am resisting for a little longer :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! And I bet Violet loved helping!!
    Ours wont be going up until next week as I'm dogsitting my mothers horrendous demon dog until monday.
    We have a couple of old trees in the shed and we take our pick each year, i think its going to be the black one this year as its bigger and I have more space this year.
    Em xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your daughter is so lovely.... and so is the tree. We don't have a real one any more, the outside trees provide the real tree aspect well enough - a Portuguese Laurel is so beautiful at the moment, that perfect conical tree shape and covered in snow, the lights are hidden. But I do have baubles that date back to when I was a child, so almost twice as old as your tree!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.
Jill x