A very good morning to you all.
Today, I'm going to show you yet another dress I've made for Violet - are you bored with them yet? I hope not, because I've got more planned.
If you remember, I was going to make another Caroline dress (Simplicity #1452) using some bright pink flower fabric.
Though whilst Violet and I were browsing the haberdashery department in John Lewis the other week, she spotted this bright yellow, bird fabric and asked if I'd make her a dress in it.
I teamed it up with some yellow and white polka dot fabric and it came together beautifully.
She hasn't taken it off since I finished it.
I made a few modifications:
Firstly, the dress length was a little on the short side, so I added a couple of extra inches.
Secondly, I hate messing on with sewing ties inside out, and then having the nightmare of trying to turn something so narrow. So I made the ties for this dress using the same method I would use to make bias binding (fold and press the fabric down it's length, open out, then fold a press the edges in to the middle crease). I then sewed all around the edges of the ties. Folding one end over twice, and sewing in place to stop any fraying.
Thirdly, I like a concealed zip. So I sewed all the back panels (skirt and top pieces) together first, positioned the zip down the centre seam and then sewed in place. I then used my seam ripper to open up the centre back seam to reveal the zip. For me, this method also means that my back panels align properly.
I love this dress and will definitely use this pattern again. Next time I might buy extra contrasting fabric and position it along the bottom of the skirt.
Pattern: Simplicity #1703 (size 5)
Main Fabric: Zaza Zoo Grass in Yellow - £16 per metre. I used 1.10 metres.
Contrasting Fabric: Scandi Blue Spot in Citrine - £16 per metre. I used 40cm.
12" yellow zipper.
Lightweight fusible interfacing.
*
Beautiful! Violet and the dress!! xx
ReplyDeleteGorgeous Jill! I really do think you need to be applying for the sewing bee.
ReplyDeleteI love it that Violet goes fabric shopping with you and that she knows exactly what she loves and wants!!!
V x
Oh, I love it. The fabric, the design, the colors! It looks beautiful on Violet. Well done, Jill.
ReplyDeleteFabulous dress and V looks lovely - bet she will have great memories of a Mum that sewed amazing things for her when she's older! Bethx
ReplyDelete