Pages

Tuesday, 26 October 2010

The purrrrrfect pumpkin!

Whilst I was sitting around waiting for Violet to finish her dance class on Saturday, I got talking to another mum about the subject of Halloween.  I told the other mum that I'd seen pumpkins for sale in Sainsbury's for only £1.50 and was going to try my hand at pumpkin carving.  I mentioned that I didn't want to carve anything scary as I didn't want to upset Violet, but  I remembered looking at images of some amazing pumpkin carvings on the internet last year - not only faces, but cartoon characters and some had been carved beautifully in lattice work, which looked stunning. 

It seemed that I'd thrown down the 'pumpkin carving' gauntlet, as that evening I received a text message to say that the other mother had bought a pumpkin and had set her husband to work on it.  Apparently she'd been inspired by my idea of googling the internet and now her husband was busily carving an image of Minnie Mouse into theirs.

The pressure was on - what was I going to carve in to mine?


So on Sunday evening I sat down and trawled through loads of images on the internet for a little bit of inspiration.  As you'd expect there were lots of witches and scary faces, but I finally decided that due to Violet's love of all things Shrek related, I'd try and carve the image of Puss in Boots. I found the image on www.bandofcats.com, who were offering some free PDF stencils. 

I did manage to print the image, but it was too large for my baby pumpkin.  I struggled, without success, to reduce it's size, but my laptop was having none of it, so in the end I had to draw the entire image freehand.



It wasn't purrrfect(!), but it'd have to do.

After removing the pumpkin's brains, it was time to start carving.
Taking care not to slice one of my fingers off.
The carving all finished.
I just need to add a candle in the back

Ta da!!!!


It's amazing the things you can achieve with a pencil, a vegetable knife and a potato peeler.

I'm so chuffed with myself.

Me likey mucho!

X

13 comments:

  1. oh wow haha it looks brilliant!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god that's AMAZING! At first I couldn't see it at all and was like "Whaaaaat?" but with the candle behind it it just looks stunning. I'm so impressed!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely amazing! Brilliant. You are so clever and I bet Violet loved it?!


    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful. Looking at it in its unlit state I thought it was going to be a disaster, I couldn't see anything there at all, but then, I am not into Shrek and related matters! But once lit, WOW, the transformation... it's incredible and you are one clever Mummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Jill I am really impressed that is excellent!! Clever you! I'm sure Violet is delighted. :) Wow again!!
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is some serious craving! You did that with a potato peeler? Crazy awesome.

    I'm all traditional though and just stick a face on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I'm so impressed! I've never tried anything that complicated!
    Love Kathy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Impressive! Much better than anything I would have managed it, it looks good! I bet violet loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fan bloomin tastic, that is amazing, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's stunning Jill! I'm so impressed. What did Violet think of it? xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving it! Super impressed, we had similar ideas (well, I did), I drew a haunted house on mine before spending an age rooting out a lino cutting set I had as a kid, only to find there were no blades. Didn't think of trying a potato peeler - doh! I gave up and did a simple scary face.

    You've set the bar for next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OHMIGOODNESS! That is too amazing 4 words!!!! TALENT!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.
Jill x