A very big hello to everyone. Hope you are all well.
Sorry that I haven't managed to blog all week, but I've struggled to find a quiet moment to sit down properly, what with the other half being at home. He always seems to be lurking behind me, trying to look over my shoulder as soon as I turn my laptop on, which throws me right off my train of thought - perhaps he thinks I'm sending emails to a lover or something - as if I've got time (or opportunity) for that!
Anyway, yesterday was our first nursery visit. I was expecting the smell of plasticine to hit me as soon as I walked in, and I was quite put out when that didn't happen.
Would you believe me if I told you that this nursery school has an indoor swimming pool????? I know, I couldn't quite believe it either when the very lovely Headmistress told us about it. There's a whole shedload of building work going on at the moment and the swimming pool is just one of the many facilities being built.
There was a brand spanking IT room, which was going to be decked out like the Starship Enterprise - how flippin amazing is that?
They also teach Spanish and they have 'Forest School', which is basically where lessons are held in the woods (in all weathers) and is a place where the children are allowed to take 'supervised risks'. I actually read about this type of schooling in a parent magazine last year and it sounded so much fun.
Violet was in her element and wandered off by herself to go and play in the sandpit. I can't foresee her having any problems on her first day of school - I'll be the one weeping buckets.
When the visit was over, I walked out of the school yard wishing it were me that would be starting there next September.
This was only the first of 5 nursery schools that I've lined up to view, but this one has really set the bar for the others. I'm left wondering what the other nurseries can possibly offer that would top a Swimming Pool and Forest School.
What I did find a little bit bonkers was the fact that even if Violet did get picked to attend this rather cool nursery, she wouldn't automatically get a place in their Reception Class a year later. I would have to apply all over again. It's not just me is it? It is completely mad isn't it?
* * * * * * *
Wishing you all a very lovely Autumnal weekend.
*
wow, I want to go to that school! Forest School sounds amazing! Good luck with the nursery hunt :)
ReplyDeleteWell, things have changed since my childhood. I know it was a long time ago, but really.... Forest School, indoor pool??? And I love sniffing packets of wax crayons in shops, that takes me right back. We DID have the beach across the road and went there for nature study every week, and did have 'Little Black Sambo' as he was called then (how un-PC is that!) who was made of metal, with a mechanical arm and you placed a penny in his open hand, operated a lever and the penny dropped into his mouth... for 'the poor black children in Africa' apparently.
ReplyDeleteYes, how things have changed indeed. I think I might mention this school of yours in my blogk, referring to your blog if you like (not that many people visit me!) in a posting about how things change. Is that OK with you?
Sounds like a lovely school! I'm a qualified forest school leader but we don't have the necessary grounds where I work to run sessions, it is really great for the kids though, such fantastic learning and development opportunities!
ReplyDeleteDave is just the same, whenever I go on the computer he can't take his eyes of the screen and reads things over my shoulder, which really annoys me!
Wow that sounds fantastic and to learn a language (especially Espanol which is a lovely language) at an early age is fab! hhmm that would put me off if I though my little one may have to be moved after a year :-(
ReplyDeleteOh Wowee !!
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like an amazing nursery school, I'm very much in favour of children learning to swim as early as possible(apart from the safety thing it saves the annual frantic search for armbands about an hour before you leave for the airport on your jollies).
And the forest school sounds like so much fun too.
If you choose this school for Violet I'd be interested to hear all about it.
Em xxxx
What an amazing sounding place! I love the dound of the Forest class! I remember when I was at infant school, my fave lessons were the ones outdoors. xxxxx
ReplyDeleteYes, it is completely mad, the education system has gone completely loopy! Sounds like a great school.
ReplyDeleteOh my god that sounds amazing. FOREST SCHOOL!!!!
ReplyDeletehihi can I come as well? sounds well cool! much more fun than my office!
ReplyDeleteSounds great, so pleased to read the first visit has gone so well.
ReplyDeleteIt does seem bonkers, but I am all for the strict rules about school places and the application process, for us it was simply about who lived the closest (as we didn't apply for any Church schools or ones with any private funding) and distance seems fair to me. Luckily for C, he will get a sibling place as F is already at school, phew.
I hope all the other visits go well,
Bethx
Blu rinse!!!! You can fall out with people you know!!!! xxxx
ReplyDeleteCourse I haven't fallen out with you - but dont "dis" the blue rinse brigade - its where I'm heading (at an alarming rate of knots!!!)
ReplyDeletesounds like heaven! our nearest nursery is so beautiful I want to move in x
ReplyDelete