Pages

Friday, 27 August 2010

Memories in stitches

Whilst the rain poured and Violet napped yesterday afternoon, I tiptoed off to try and organise a few boxes of my possessions; in the hope that I could do a spot of de-cluttering.  Some of the boxes haven't been opened in years.  In one such box I came across a carrier bag of what felt like material.  Inside were two cross stitches and two parts to a tapestry cushion I'd stitched in, what felt like, a past life.  That may sound strange, but it's true. I'd done all of these projects whilst still living at home, pre marriage, and at a time when both my parents were still alive.

1994, 16 years ago - wow.

I remember my mum sewing the fancy seam around the edges.  I never did get the opportunity to ask her how she did it. 

The cushion covers were the first things I stitched on my floor standing tapestry frame, which had been a 21st birthday present.  All my aunties had clubbed together to buy it for me.  I was overjoyed when I unwrapped it. 

I have memories of my mum desperate to have a go because she could see all the lovely bright colours I was using.


Perhaps it's about time I got my finger out and actually sewed them together.

I got particularly sentimental over this cross stitch of a white tiger..


I'd been making it as a present for my dad, who really loved tigers.  Sadly he never got to see it.  He'd gone into hospital for a triple heart bypass operation.  The operation was a success, but he had a major stroke whilst he was recuperating on the ward a few days later, and by the end of the week he'd died.

It appears that I've just stuffed all of these into a bag so I wouldn't have to look at them.

Isn't it funny how you can get really weepy over three pieces of stitching?  

I think it's high time I did something with them.  They don't deserve to be just packed away in a carrier bag for the rest of their days do they?  Especially when you think of all the hours each one took to do.

Some wounds never heal though, do they?  Maybe I'm not quite ready for them to be out and on display just yet.

Where's my hankie????

*

Wishing you all a very lovely weekend.

Let's hope the sun makes an appearance.

*

13 comments:

  1. I feel a little weepy for you now. There are memories stitched in to those pieces and it won't be easy to bring them out again but in time I'm sure you'll be able to and if you don't ever feel like displaying them, it won't be a bad thing, you'll still have them somewhere to take out and look at.

    (And on a different note - I freakin' love that cushion. It. is. amazing. Did you come up with the design yourself or is it from a pattern?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe making them up into tactile things, and then putting them away will help you a little bit. They you can get them out gradually when you feel strong enough?

    ReplyDelete
  3. what amazing things to come across but like you say they must have made you very sad indeed :-( Maybe you could try and think of happy memories of your parents when you look at them and that way they will make you smile every time you see them :-) virtual hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh do finish them off - the day will come when you can think of your Mum and Dad and not be so sad I know and that's when you'll look at your finished items and remember the happy times. Of course one never gets over the death of a parent but believe me you do get to remember the happy times and not to need a hanky all the time in due course - I speak as one who knows! The needlework is too beautiful to be hidden away and your Mum and Dad would want you to enjoy them I'm sure.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. What stunning pieces of art! And the cushion in your previous post is just fabby! Hope some sun will shine over your head soon, hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As Marigold Jam said, the time will come when you won't feel as sad as you do now. Make them into cushions so that you can give them a great big hug. They are truly amazing. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (extra today because you need 'em)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think it's strange at all to get emotional. All that stitching has very strong memories attached to it. I think you should try and do something with it when you're ready, as Marigold Jam says your Mum and Dad would want you to enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bless your heart, they are never far away from us you know.
    I love that cushion you made. Gemma :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found you via Stitching in the Kitchen and am so glad I did. What a lovely blog.
    Your needlework is lovely, the cushion especially so colourful... did you do it freehand?
    As Marigold said, you never get over the loss of a parent... I lost both mine back in the seventies/early eighties, a few years apart, and I miss my Mum still, ever such a lot, usually more so at certain times than others... as I am sure those in similar positions will agree with. The pain gets less, gets bearable, the hole they leave is never filled, but I know my Mum particularly, is with me watching over me, probably tutting sometimes too!
    Whatever you do with those pieces, they will always be reminders of good times as well as sad. And such a shame to confine them to a cupboard, such loveliness should be shared.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can imagine how emotional you must have got finding all those treasures again... All I can say is that it's up to you, when you feel ready to get them out, but that cushion looks fantastic and definitely deserves better than being stuck in a box!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a shame not to finish them when you consider all the time and energy spent on them but perhaps the time is not quite yet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Jill, this is such a touching post. Im really sentimental too so I can imagine the heartache you must have felt. I think you'll feel great if you get them finished and conquer it in a way. They're absolutely stunning though, you are one talented lady!! x x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.
Jill x